CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Aunt Barbara's Egg Rolls


This recipe comes from my Aunt Barbara.  I've been wanting a recipe for egg rolls, and I've been bugging her for hers.  She gave it to me this past week and I could not wait to eat them.  They turned out wonderful!  Hope you enjoy!  Here is my aunt's recipe straight from her.

Egg rolls
2 pkgs egg roll wrappers
1 head of cabbage shredded (cut out core & thick stems) or 2 pkgs of coleslaw mix
shredded carrots (leave out if using coleslaw mix)
finely chopped onion
1 can bean sprouts drained & rinsed
1 lb of ground beef

Brown ground beef in large dutch oven - drain & rinse
Put back in dutch oven, add cabbage, carrots, onions & bean sprouts. Stir well to get ground beef off bottom of pot and everything mixed well. ADD NO LIQUID!! VEGS WILL GIVE OFF ENOUGH LIQUID TO STEAM THEM. Cover and cook on low stirring often until cabbage and vegs are cooked and very tender.
Drain off all liquid when vegs are done.

I usually dump in teriyaki sauce instead of soy sauce because soy sauce is too thin. You can add a little soy sauce at this point but not too much. You don't want vegs too wet because you're egg rolls will steam when they fry and get soggy.

Roll in egg roll wrappers and deep fry in peanut oil or vegetable oil until golden brown. Bring out the soy sauce and sweet & sour sauce and eat!! Sometimes I use only half of the filling and we put the rest over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment